Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pumping Supplies

I've been pumping at work for five months now, and this is my must-have list of supplies for success.
  1. A good pump (I use the Medela Pump-In-Style Advanced)
  2. Hand towel (I put this on my lap while I'm pumping to keep any stray drops of milk off my pants)
  3. 1-3 sets of extra breast shields (so you don't have to wash them at work, or every single night at home)
  4. Bottles that you can pump into and then send directly to day care the next day (any standard neck bottle will work with the Medela)... I just bring the tops with nipples, so that each bottle is 100% ready to go when I've filled it up.
  5. A little lunch box or cooler with some ice packs, so you don't have to put your milk in the office fridge
  6. Big bright Do Not Enter sign for your door, even if your door locks (and it helps if it's REALLY obvious, so you can relax knowing that the maid or a secretary isn't going to use her universal key to pop into your office at any moment)
  7. And perhaps MOST important: a zip-up, strap-on hands-free thingy (see here), which I thought was the goofiest thing ever when I bought it! However, since it allows me to use my computer while pumping, I'd have to say it's really the key to my success as a pumping-at-work mom! (But isn't that photo on the website the cheesiest thing ever?? I hope I don't look like that!!)

1 comment:

Teri said...

I think being a working/pumping mom would be the HARDEST thing ever. Congrats on making it work!